Monday, March 18, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

View from the Hill

After failure to unite on one abortion bill, GOP passes another

A legislative backlash prevented Republicans in the U.S. House of Representatives from considering one bill restricting abortion rights last week — but another bill they did pass would deny federal funding for abortions.

“This is a sweeping ban on abortion coverage will falls hardest on women who are struggling to get by," said Suzanne Buckley, executive director of NARAL Pro-Choice North Carolina.

Abortion procedures can cost between $350 and $800.

Before this legislation was passed on Thursday, there was a previous law stating that federal funding (through Medicaid, for instance) would not be used to fund abortions except in the most extreme cases such as rape and incest. But the legislation called the No Taxpayer Funding for Abortion Insurance Full Disclosure Act would ban all uses of federal funds in health insurance plans to pay for any abortions.

When policymakers deny family planning and abortion coverage and make them unaffordable, it can jeopardize a family’s financial security, Buckley said.

“Studies show that women who want to get abortions but are denied are three times more likely to fall into poverty than those who can get an abortion,” she said.

Though Buckley said that President Barack Obama is expected to veto this legislation should it pass the Senate, the bill still represents a desire to restrict abortion coverage.

The vote on Tuesday showed a substantial majority of the House — 227 members to 188 members — in favor of this bill.

“Instead of sweeping bans, it’s time for Congress to lift the restrictions on abortion coverage so women can make decisions based on what’s best for their circumstances,” Buckley said.

The Daily Tar Heel's 2024 Music Edition