View from the Hill

NC Democratic Party low on cash at the start of the year

The Democratic Party was severely outperformed by Republicans across in the country in the 2014 midterm elections. On top of that, the N.C. Democratic Party is in a troubled place financially.

According to the N.C. Democratic Party’s political committee disclosure report filed with the N.C. Board of Elections, the party was left with just $42,731.06 in cash on hand at the end of the election, and $129,936.40 in outstanding debts owed. The (Raleigh) News & Observer wrote about the state party’s problems, explaining that the current amount of money on hand is not enough to support basic upkeep of political infrastructure in state. Apparently they need to raise $200,000 pretty quickly just to fund general operating expenses.

The outgoing chairman of the state party, Randy Voller, is saying that the numbers reported are to be expected. After all, election season only just ended, and the Democrats worked hard to battle odds that did not look in their favor beforehand.

Even so, the Democrats find themselves in a very difficult position. With an incumbent like Kay Hagan losing to Thom Tillis in the race for U.S. Senate, Democrats in North Carolina experienced one major upset. The majority of North Carolina’s U.S. House seats were also taken by Republicans in the midterms.

In addition, the state Republican Party reported having $151,300 in cash left over from the election. Compared to the considerable Republican successes in North Carolina, the Democrats appear to be in shambles.

If Democrats did pour all available energy and funding into the North Carolina elections, as Voller said to the News & Observer, then it would appear a great deal of money was used on a series of painful losses in a state that simply isn’t turning out to vote Democratic.

Almost in conjunction with these setbacks, the Democratic Party is having an election for a new chairperson on Feb. 7, which may provide a necessary change in leadership for a party that needs to get back on track.