View from the Hill

NC lawmaker loses bet, gives pro-Patriots speech on House floor

Super Bowl XLIX was stressful for Seattle and New England fans alike, but in the end the New England Patriots emerged as champions.

While some die-hard Seattle Seahawks fans decided to throw themselves through their TV, other supporters of the team had a bet to settle.

N.C. Rep. Nelson Dollar, R-Cary, was betting on a Seattle win with his son’s guidance counselor, Ron Perrin.

With a Seahawks win, Perrin, a Patriots fan, would have had to wear a Seahawks jersey to work.

Malcolm Butler, the undrafted rookie who, in one play, became a Patriots hero, saved him from this fate with a last minute game-icing interception. Instead, Dollar had to pay up and give a pro-Patriots speech on the N.C. House of Representatives floor.

Dollar decided to center his speech around Butler and his game-saving interception, saying the event proved that with hard work, you can rise from obscurity to the top of your profession.

Some might say that there are more important things to discuss in the House than football, but Dollar did succeed in relating the game to the American dream — and besides, what’s more American than football?

While Dollar and his fellow Seattle fans may have a tough offseason, the New England supporters will be riding high for a while.