View from the Hill

Experts chime in on the recent trend of political correctness on college campuses

The political correctness movement is sweeping across college campuses, leading some to question whether or not it's gone too far. 

The trend, which emphasizes using inclusive language, avoiding "triggers" and watering down potentially offense material, has been touted as a positive change. 

However, there are others who claim hyper-attention to politically correct language and topics can hamper students' education by limiting discussion in classrooms.

“I do think there is a concern that we all feel like we’re walking on eggshells as far as what we say and how we say it,” said Lois Boynton, journalism professor at UNC School of Media and Journalism. 

She said there is a difference between content that triggers reactions from traumatized victims and content some students may find offensive.

“You have to be aware that the content for the class might be something quite difficult to deal with and to give people an opportunity, perhaps, to step away from something if they are indeed being triggered — but not equating triggering with, ‘I’m just uncomfortable and I don’t wanna talk about this.’ They’re different concepts," Boynton said. 

The UNC Writing Center recently published a handout on gender-inclusive language, which was met with mixed reactions. On Facebook, Fox & Friends — a weekday morning national news show — shared a picture of the handout with the caption: “UNC Chapel Hill is distributing this guide to students advising them against using words with "man" in them?! Is this ridiculous or what?”

(function(d, s, id) {  var js, fjs = d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0];  if (d.getElementById(id)) return;  js = d.createElement(s); js.id = id;  js.src = "//connect.facebook.net/en_US/sdk.js#xfbml=1&version=v2.3";  fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js, fjs);}(document, 'script', 'facebook-jssdk'));

UNC Chapel Hill is distributing this guide to students advising them against using words with "man" in them?! Is this ridiculous or what?

Posted by Fox & Friends on Monday, September 21, 2015

Jay Schalin, director of policy analysis at the John William Pope Center for Higher Education Policy, said he thought the new writing guide was "ridiculous." According to the Pope Center's website, the think-tank opposes the use of speech codes, sexual harassment codes and even sustainability doctrines on college campuses, ostensibly because the codes are hostile to free thought and traditional values.

Political correctness and the push for inclusive language plays a major role on campuses by stifling dialogue and silencing different opinions, Schalin said.

But others are more receptive to the change. Rhonda Gibson, media ethics professor at the UNC School of Media and Journalism, said these gender-inclusive terms are not ridiculous, but make sense. 

“I think the main goal is accuracy with language” she said. “I think that language is always in flux and reflects society as much as it changes society.”

While some students are eager to switch to more inclusive language, others are less inclined. 

“That has never offended me — ever,” said Jaylyn Perry, sophomore political science and communication studies double major, regarding the Writing Center's changes to the word freshman — to first-year instead.

She said she understands this push towards inclusive language to a certain extent, but said overall it can lead to hypersensitivity and overshadow more pressing matters.

“I completely appreciate the things that we have championed, especially politically, in terms of making progressive aims and making progressive changes,” Perry said. “However, I think we can be a little extra with it and start nitpicking everything. I think we unpack too much to the point that we are causing sensitivities that don’t need to be there.”

Junior Ashleigh Pickett, communication studies major, said language changes so fast that hyper-attention to political correctness can obscure the main issue.

"People fight over the pettiest things when there are real issues out there.”