View from the Hill

News to Know: where China is bad at relationships and Amazon is that friend who needs a smartphone intervention

China and Taiwan make up...almost

China 1 and China 2 met on Thursday for the first time since their break-up in 1949. It wasn’t exactly a happy reunion though — both nations’ presidents referred to each other as “Mr.” and they split the cost of their meal down the middle. Sounds like a pretty terrible date. China also continued to claim that Taiwan is a Chinese province, prompting Taiwan to fake an emergency and climb out of the bathroom window.

Sierra Leone is kind of Ebola-free

I’m already on Skyscanner buying my plane ticket. Nevermind that Ebola can reemerge after being dormant for a while. So comforting. Even so, no new cases have appeared in 42 days, and the World Health Organization declared the nation free from Ebola on Saturday. However, the aftermath of the epidemic left the country’s economy weak and healthcare system weaker.

Amazon made its first real store as annoying as possible

Instead of real prices at Amazon’s first brick-and-mortar store, patrons must search for the price by scanning products on their smartphones. Amazon says the system allows book prices to fluctuate, just like on their website. In reality, someone in management didn’t realize that the only people who still buy physical books from real-life stores are elderly and have no idea what smartphones are. I give it a month.

Keystone XL Pipeline rejected

On Friday, the Obama Administration rejected a proposed expansion to the Keystone Oil Pipeline (no, it doesn’t transport beer) that has been under review for seven years. TransCanada, the company requesting to build the pipeline, tried to win this fight by suspending the project application before the rejection. Clever. They are banking on the fact that a Republican will win the White House next year.

The Fed cannot make up its mind

Now I finally get what that Justin Bieber song is about — Federal Reserve Chair Janet Yellen being cryptic about when the Fed is going to raise interest rates. On Wednesday, she told Congress it might happen at the Fed’s December meeting. Happy holidays! Higher interest rates mean the bank will charge more on loans, and that your parents will use the mortgage as an excuse to not buy you presents. But you will probably get about 2 cents more in interest on your OneCard savings account.