View from the Hill

News to know: where none of America’s food is natural and Japan’s new recession strategy is to watch Benjamin Button

House passed bill to increase screening on Syrian and Iraqi refugees

President Barack Obama has vowed to veto the bill passed by a large majority of the House on Thursday. The bill would suspend Iraqi and Syrian refugees from entering until they passed strict background checks. Minority leader Harry Reid has also vowed to block the bill in the Senate. Watch out Congress — Reid grew up in a house without indoor plumbing, so I bet he can filibuster for days.

Hostages taken at Radisson Hotel Mali

On the eve of a peace deal between the Malian government and Northern Separatists, gunman stormed a hotel in Mali’s capital Bamako. The gunmen, believed to be part of a jihadist group connected to Al-qaeda, held 170 people hostage on Friday. Malian and U.S. security forces then stormed the hotel, freeing the hostages, but 19 were killed.

Genetically modified Salmon cleared for production

On Thursday the FDA gave the go-ahead to a salmon producer who genetically modified the fish to grow twice as fast. You may be asking yourself, “This is news?” It’s OK — I, too, assumed that all food was already genetically modified. Not that many things can taste like chicken, America. But as it turns out, this will be the first ever modified animal approved by the United States for human consumption.

Recession declared in Japan (again)

Japan is at that point where they cry on their birthday when they see how many candles are on the cake. Their median age is 46.5 according to the CIA world factbook, almost ten years older than the United States. What does that have to do with their recurring recession? Their working population is shrinking rapidly. That’s causing their GDP graph to look like someone drew it upside-down, which is causing investors to head for the hills. And that’s giving Japan even more gray hair than they already have.

More Mexicans leaving than coming

According to a study by Pew Research center, 1 million Mexicans and their families left the United States between the beginning of the great recession in 2009 and 2014. In the same time period, an estimated 870,000 Mexicans came into the country. So about that immigration control wall, Mr. Trump...