You Asked for It

You Asked for It: In which Alison misses Kiana and learns Photoshop

Kiana Cole (living in London!) and Alison Krug (living in the basement of the journalism school!) are the writers of UNC’s premier (only!) satirical advice column. In this special edition of You Asked for It, Alison teaches you how to cope while your other half (of your satirical advice column) is living abroad and tries to turn this in for retroactive graphic design class credit. Results may vary.

You: What do the writers of YAFI do when they aren't solving the problems of the world/the problems submitted to bit.ly/yafidth?

You Asked for It: This semester, my other half (of YAFI), Kiana, is studying abroad while I am left to hold down the fort at UNC. What's there for a gal to do but dramatically stare out a window for the next three months waiting for her writing partner to return, mourning how these travels are severely limiting the time spent with said writing partner's dog?

The answer to this universally relatable question is simple: Photoshop.

1. Fully cement yourself in your globetrotter's last memories of America by plopping yourself right into their last meal in the U.S. of A. Thinking of adjusting the contrast to make the edit a little more subtle? Leave it as is to ensure you're the focal point.

2. Flying can be stressful, so let your friend know you've always got their back by editing yourself right into their luggage. Thinking of switching it up to use a new picture of yourself? Don't! Fight for every smidgen of object permanence you can by retaining this one portraiture of your visage.

3. Your friend might make some new friends when they're traveling the world, and that's OK. What's not OK is passing up a chance to show off your fancy Photoshop skills by not editing in your face!

4. Traveling to a new country can be a scary thing, and it's up to you to let your friend know how brave and awesome they are. Do this by editing yourself into a window you've edited into any wall your friend has posed in front of in their new country. What says "I support you and am proud of your accomplishments" better than this?

5. By this point, you've truly proven you are a dedicated (if not fairly concerning) friend and that you have moderate (if not fairly concerning) Photoshop skills!

The final step? Snail mail one copy of these across the pond to your world traveler and put another copy in a plain envelope marked "retroactive graphic design class extra credit???" and slide it under the front door of Carroll Hall.

You: How do I make the most of UNC's new free Adobe Creative Cloud software?

YAFI: See above.