Eve Carson Memorial Wall

When it was first reported that Student Body President Eve Carson had died, The Daily Tar Heel erected an online monument for readers to share their grief and remember a young woman who in the span of 22 years touched so many lives.

We were not expecting the hundreds of comments that we received – many from people who never knew her and had never set foot on UNC’s campus. Friends, alumni, complete strangers commented about how much she changed their lives, how wonderful a person she was and how much they will miss her. Some sent in photos of Eve capturing the exuberance she was known for her in life. The Eve Carson Memorial Wall grows every day as a testament of Eve’s power to bring people together even in the wake of her death.

All messages appear the way they were posted online and have only been edited for length.

“Eve, I have always been proud to be a Tar Heel. . But I have never worn my colors more proudly since learning about the way you lived your life.” Rink Murray

“I feel as though I’ve just lost a mentor I never knew I had . Eve, even though you’ve reached my attention from the wrongest of circumstances, and your magical influence had yet to spring beyond the microcosm of your campus community, you are my hero.” Amy F.

“As a mother of three young girls my heart breaks for the family of Eve . I will work hard so my daughters have a chance to shine as Eve has to so many.” Anonymous

“I saw Eve this past Monday when she came into the Union annex with her new Carolina Nike Dunks. She was soooo excited about them and all I could think was, “This is what it means to really be a Tar Heel – to get this excited over shoes because you love this University so much that you want to wear it on your feet.” Anonymous

“She was the person that you wanted to be and wanted to be around. I’ve never been around someone who could immediately put a smile on my face without saying a single word.” Joseph ’07

“Eve was our Diana.” Emile Petrone

“I remember at Dance Marathon, when she came in and was dancing with us. She saw me and her face lit up with that gorgeous Eve smile, and she said “I’ll hold you”, and she grabbed me around the waist and held me up – kept me dancing. That was Eve, always pulling people up, always looking out for everyone.” Kenton Summers

“I met Eve a couple times, but she really stood out to me when she spoke at orientation. I was so overwhelmed and unsure about whether or not I was ready to be at a school so far from home. Eve spoke with such enthusiasm and pride about Carolina. After listening to her speak I knew I was in the right place.” Anonymous

“It’s not heat-of-the-moment to say there wasn’t a bad thing about her.” Robby Marshall

“My greatest wishes are that more people could live like Eve did and that less would have to die like she did.” Anonymous

“Thanks for leading by example, giving from your heart and showing us all what a woman can be . you will always be our President.” Susan

“It doesn’t get any easier as each day passes. I know you’re up there smiling down on us with your gorgeous smile cheering for the Heels – but know this – they are playing for YOU.” Anonymous

“I know it’s not enough comfort, but Eve influenced my life in her passing…After watching videos of her and seeing what her friends wrote about her I want to be a better person and do what I can to change the world.” JA

“She was the one who stood for us: as students, as classmates, and as people. She pushed for our greatness and worked endlessly to ensure that each of us here at Carolina had the opportunities that she was so sure we all deserved.” Sarah York

“What a privilege it was to have known you. And to think you’re finally going to get exactly what you always hoped for – everyone is coming together soon, and I can’t wait. It’s going to hurt so badly, but I think I have an idea of what you would want for us. It’s time for us to pick up your slack, to enable the dreams of others ourselves. I’ll never be able to repay you in full, but thank you for everything.” Travis Starkey