Research funding increases at UNC

researchmoneyhighestever.jpg
researchmoneyhighestever.jpg

Correction: The accompanying graphic misstates the amount of money gathered by the School of Medicine. The school has received $349.6 million in the 2009 fiscal year.

In spite of a sinking economy, UNC researchers have won a record-breaking $716 million dollars in funding for this fiscal year.

University researchers often sought grant money for specific projects.

The majority of the grants are provided by federal organizations including the National Institutes of Health and the National Science Foundation. Much of it is tied to the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act.

Tony Waldrop, vice chancellor for research and economic development, said he expects continued economic success for UNC over the next few years as federal stimulus money becomes available.

The stimulus plan awarded UNC research groups slightly more than $20 million, only a fraction of the $716 million received in total.

School of Public Health

The Gillings School of Global Public Health saw a 47 percent increase in funding this year as compared to last year, said Ramona DuBose, director of communications for the school.

A new source of funding for the school is a contract with the United Arab Emirates. The U.A.E. will pay $12.1 million to UNC researchers who will observe the country’s rapid growth and devise a plan to avoid negative development, DuBose said.

The contract directs $9 million specifically for researchers working within the school.

Carolina Population Center

The Carolina Population Center received $54.2 million this year, the most of any department or University-based center or institute.

A project called MEASURE Evaluation studies public health issues in underdeveloped countries. It received a $23 million grant from the U.S. Agency for International Development.

Tom Heath, associate director for finance and administration for the Center, said MEASURE Evaluation was the primary recipient of funding within the center.

School of Pharmacy

The Eshelman School of Pharmacy won approximately $25 million in research grants this year, 20 percent more than last year.

The pharmacy school did an economic impact analysis in conjunction with the Kenan-Flagler Business School.

“We concluded that $135 million will be returned to central North Carolina … in terms of jobs and tax dollars saved, as well as benefits brought on by the research itself,” said Dean Robert Blouin.