UNC weighs more tuition hikes

Despite statements that UNC would not raise out-of-state tuition next year by more than the $200 required by the state budget, administrators now say a larger increase is necessary.

The about-face in plans stems from a closer reading of confusing language in the state’s budget, which administrators originally believed limited larger increases across the board.

The budget prohibits increases of more than $200 for in-state students, but says nothing about a cap for out-of-state tuition. It states only that all tuition must be raised at least $200.

“The budget is silent on non-resident increases,” said interim Provost Bruce Carney. “We simply had to take a closer look at our tuition policy.”

Carney discussed the potential increases while talking to the Faculty Council on Friday.

He said the tuition and fees advisory task force will explore the possibility of “reasonable” increases for non-resident tuition, calling such increases necessary in the face of rising applications for need-based aid.

Need-based financial aid requests are up 17 percent this year, Carney said.

Non-resident students make up about 20 percent of the student body. Administrators have not said how much the increases would be.

“We want to minimize the pain and maximize the returns on these increases,” Carney said.

The task force, which convenes annually, will seek input from students, administrators and the University’s departments to determine how much to increase tuition.

In late August, Carney and Chancellor Holden Thorp said the task force would not be formed, but the group would still collect relevant data.

But officials said the rising number of financial aid applicants — and the closer reading of the budget — forced them to change course.

“This is the only option we have this year,” Carney said. “Our chief worry is to make sure that we continue to have adequate funding for aid to students, and it’s harder to meet the rising need.”

As the University struggles with 10 percent budget cuts, it has been forced to explore alternative ways of continuing academic and administrative services.

Ryan Morgan, president of the Out-of-State Student Association, expressed concern that the University’s tuition policies would not be fair for non-resident students and ultimately hurt the University.

“Clearly the best students at UNC are out-of-staters,” Morgan said. “Any increase is likely to harm out-of-staters, and we of course want to have a voice in this discussion.”

Even with potential non-resident increases, the University maintains competitive tuition rates compared to peer schools, Carney said.

“It’s important for the community to get together to determine what’s fair in this policy,” he said. “It’ll be a modest increase, I’m sure, but I couldn’t say. I’m new at this.”