Pauper Players' show highlights musicals

'Broadway Melodies' opens tonight

129_broadway_musical_jld
Nick Culp and Jamie Serkin rehearse Wednesday for the “Broadway Melodies” show put on by the Pauper Players.

Pauper Players premieres its biggest fundraiser and its most popular annual show, “Broadway Melodies 2010,” tonight at 8 p.m. in the Student Union Cabaret. It runs through Tuesday.

The show consists of four musical parodies written, directed and performed by students. The casts have had only two weeks to rehearse.

The time crunch is stressful for those working to produce the show, but cast members said viewers won’t be disappointed.

“It’s a big seller,” said show director Elissa Rumer. “It’s got a following. It’s known to be lighthearted and fun.”

Here’s a look at the four parodies:

“Robin Hood: The Musical”

Written and Directed by Travis Wright

Cast size: 17

Musical numbers: 7

Time spent writing show: two weeks

Show plot: A dance-focused number. Robin Hood’s lady Maid Marian runs the town while Robin Hood and sidekick Little John run off to strengthen their ambiguous relationship.

Favorite number: “I See a River” from Urinetown —  “The ensemble shows off their voices,” Travis Wright said.

Words about show: “It’s every moral story of all time with a modern twist. A modern fairy  tale,” Wright said.

“House: The Musical”

Written and Directed by Kevin Shaffer

Cast size: 22

Musical numbers: 6

Time spent writing show: one month

Show plot: Following the storyline of every House episode, an admitted patient has a mysterious disease that only House can diagnose.

Favorite number: “Ain’t it Good” from “Children of Eden”— “It will get everyone in the ‘House’ up and clapping,” Shaffer said.

Words about show: “It’s funny and faithful to the source of material,” he said.

Thanks for reading.

Read more in Arts & Entertainment