Former Florida State basketball player Sam Cassell once famously stated that the Dean Dome had a “wine and cheese” crowd. While I have enjoyed my experiences in the Dean Dome throughout my four years here and think the student sections of the stadium are as energetic as any, I feel the renovations to Carmichael Auditorium offer more than just a place for the women’s team to play.

I propose that for two home games each basketball season, the men’s team plays at its old home, Carmichael.

Consider that in 1982 the University of Virginia basketball team could not hear the PA announcer’s player introductions due to the roaring Carolina crowd. For two games a year we could have a completely unique Carolina basketball experience.

The obvious impediment to this plan of course is money. Given how much money alumni seating in the Dean Dome brings the University, playing games in Carmichael seems like a pipe dream.

However, I think I may have a solution. First, the Duke game and other big nonconference games are out, as they sell too many tickets. The best candidates would be other ACC games.

As far as seating goes, make lower level sections student seating, along with all the upper level to allow a significant student presence. Let alumni buy seats for the lower level starting at $200.

I realize this may seem steep, but I am more than confident that there are enough rich, passionate alumni from the Carmichael days who would be willing to shell out the cash for the Carmichael experience.

I realize even by doing so UNC may not make as much money on a couple games, but the potential atmosphere would make this well worth it. The team has worn throwback jerseys several times this year. Why not play a couple games in a throwback stadium?

John Tobben
Senior
Psychology