Deane, Tyler tapped to lead senior class

Pair hopes to bring seniors together

Justin Tyler and Liz Deane are elected as senior class officers Tuesday to represent the class of 2011. DTH/Helen Woolard

Correction (Feb. 11 12:51 a.m.): Due to a reporting error, this story incorrectly stated that the senior class officers help select the class gift. Seniors actually can donate to any part of the University as part of the senior campaign. The Daily Tar Heel apologizes for this error.

The number “1” was crucial for juniors Liz Deane and Justin Tyler on Tuesday night. Standing in Carroll Hall room 111, they found out they received 1,111 votes in the election for 2011 senior class officers.

And that isn’t even mentioning their first-place finish.

With a platform balancing social activities with service opportunities, Deane and Tyler beamed with excitement as Board of Elections Chairman Peter Gillooly announced the results.

Three pairs of candidates ran for senior class officers this election season. Runners-up Tyler Aiken and Justin Webb received 433 votes, and Sean Ryan Kiernan and Elizabeth Monier received 287 votes.

The election included only juniors entering their senior year at the University.

“We’re really happy for Liz and Justin,” Kiernan said. “We all talked before, and they ran a great campaign, and we’re still interested in being involved.”

Webb, who was part of the second place duo, echoed Kiernan’s resolve to continue participating.

“Liz and Justin were a tough team to beat,” he said. “We talked earlier and said that no matter who wins, we still want to be kept involved. I’d be glad to be part of their team next year.”

Deane said she was excited not only to be senior class president but for another reason, as well.

“We’re so excited … to sleep!” she said. “This needed to be over,” Deane said with a sigh of relief.

The first thing on the agenda for the newly elected senior class officers will be the appointment of marshals in about a month, Deane said.

“Our biggest thing is reaching out to as many people as we possibly can. That’s our top priority,” Tyler said.

Deane and Tyler’s platform includes a number of ways to fulfill that goal, such as creating a seniors-only advisory committee to Chancellor Holden Thorp and extending social events beyond bar nights. In addition to bar nights, the two said they plan to include senior trivia nights and senior outdoor movie nights.

The two also intend to distribute a weekly senior class newsletter.

In addition to their responsibility for selecting senior marshals, the senior class president and vice president are tasked with the role of promoting class unity and representing the senior class in building ties with the University and alumni.

The responsibilities for senior class officers include a number of duties, such as serving as the official marshals at University Day and commencement days. They also can donate to any part of the University as part of the senior campaign and promote connections with the University after graduation.