At an impromptu UNC-system Board of Governors meeting at 3 p.m. today in Chapel Hill, system schools announced their individual tuition hikes.

UNC-Chapel Hill, N.C. State University and the University of North Carolina School of the Arts were the only system schools to go ahead with the maximum increase of $750 allowed by the 2010 appropriations budget signed into law June 30.

Other system schools are increasing their tuition during the next two years while others are raising tuition by less than the maximum.

UNC-Chapel Hill, which already approved a $200 tuition increase, wanted to increase the percentage of the hike that would go toward need-based financial aid.

The Board of Governors decided to stick with the N.C. General Assembly’s recommendation to limit need-based aid to only 20 percent of the tuition hike, but the board did gave individual campuses flexibility with their own increases.

UNC-Chapel Hill will devote a larger percentage of its $200 tuition hike to need-based aid, bringing the total amount of need-based aid coming from Chapel Hill’s $950 tuition hike to 37 percent.

UNC-system President Erskine Bowles will announce the hikes officially on Wednesday.