UNC football players unharmed in apartment fire

Correction: (July 12, 2010, 3:10 p.m.) An earlier version of this story misstated the address of Michael McAdoo and Kevin Reddick. The story has been changed to reflect this correction. The Daily Tar Heel apologizes for this error.

An apartment building that North Carolina football players Michael McAdoo and Kevin Reddick called home caught fire in Durham on Saturday, reports state.

Kevin Best, director of UNC football communications, said the two were unharmed in the blaze at 6205 Farrington Road.

Officials said the fire, which displaced 23 residents, was accidental.

“I had just left my crib, so five minutes after I left I got a call saying there was a fire going on,” McAdoo said.

“I thought he was just joking. People say there’s a fire every day. I told him to put it out and he said it was too big. I hung up and two to three minutes later I got several calls asking if I was OK.”

McAdoo said the firefighters would not let them into their apartment to gather belongings, but said they no longer had a front door.

McAdoo and Reddick are staying at the Hampton Inn. They have not taken any legal recourse yet.

News 14 Carolina has reported that no one in the building was injured, while three firefighters were taken to a nearby hospital for treatment of a laceration and heat exhaustion.

Thanks for reading.

Read more in Sports

Share on social media?

Comments powered by Disqus

Please note All comments are eligible for publication in The Daily Tar Heel.

2016-17 March Madness Preview by The Daily Tar Heel

Print Edition

Print Edition