For those of you considering supporting Republican candidates during this November’s midterm elections, consider the far-reaching implications that this may have for people living in poverty. Though poverty is hardly considered a central issue within this year’s campaign, it is important to consider that our votes as citizens directly impact the well-being of other Americans.

Consider that the federal poverty line for an individual with no children rests at around $10,000 and only increases to around $20,000 for a family of four. It is very difficult to receive public assistance in this country as it is, and with proposed GOP austerity measures (and the refusal to pare down military spending), the ability of many Americans to survive would be in jeopardy. Though it would be ideal to balance the budget as soon as possible, it is also highly unrealistic to do so with dwindling tax revenues as a result of double-digit unemployment. Cutting social programs during a time of need is not only economically destructive but just as equally immoral.

Consider the desperation in which those in poverty are living, and then consider how your vote may affect them. Would a Republican-controlled Congress which prioritizes tax cuts for the top 1 percent opt to help these people? I doubt it, and so should you.

Nick Lemmon
Graduate Student
School of Social Work