Occasionally, a letter to the editor is published kvetching about kvetches.

While it is true that sometimes the kvetches are offensive and also true that they often make us laugh, the issue that I would emphasize is the fact that we are kvetching to begin with.

Perhaps with Thanksgiving approaching, we might consider being grateful for the experiences we have on campus.

Perhaps the Daily Tar Heel Editorial Board might publish a board of quips that say “Thank you” instead of complain.

These quips could follow a similar tone and format; it is possible to find comedy in daily encounters without adopting that tone of annoyance, criticism, and dissatisfaction.

We can say thank you for the life we have been given by appreciating the ridiculous moments on campus. Not only can we say thank you, but we should.

We attend a top university in one of the richest countries in the world.

We are receiving an education and living a lifestyle many people in the world cannot even imagine having. We are better off and luckier than we often acknowledge.

Every Friday, kvetches serve to give us comic relief from a stressed-out-college-student daily life.

A little bit of gratitude can also give us relief, place our life in perspective, and remind us that we have so much to enjoy.

Let’s consider publishing lines that not only make us laugh but also show we value the people, places and instances we meet here.

Caroline Fish
Senior
Psychology