Yesterday, Andrew Tamayo wrote a letter to the editor decrying the DTH’s new “Quote File” as propagating, in his words, a “rape culture.” The real problem, however, lies in the appeal to fear rather than logic by tossing around the buzz word “rape” without any explanation as to its situational relevance.

In his letter (“Quote File propagates a ‘rape culture’ here at UNC,” Dec. 1), Andrew cited a submission “equating a girlfriend’s value with her willingness to perform frequent oral sex” as an example of this “rape culture.” Not only is the comparison between two willing partners and forced sexual assault erroneous, but it invalidates the sexuality of both genders to imply that mutual enjoyment of intimate relations is somehow wrong. The “rape card” should be reserved for those who actually bring harm to others, not used to belittle those who enjoy sexual activity or stimuli
— and yes, believe it or not, women are included in that figure.

While I can understand the concern that encouraging misogynistic comments, jokes and imagery can objectify women and increase the likelihood of sexual assault or rape, the two are not synonymous. Sexism and rape are very different things and there is no evidence that they are even correlated, let alone causal. Furthermore, the “Quote File” submissions are intended to be humorous; feel free to mourn the fact that many college students do not possess the capacity for creativity beyond crude and forced sexual innuendo, but do not devalue the severity of rape by associating it with lighthearted appeals to basic human sexuality.

Michele Martin
Sophomore
Biology and Psychology