This letter is in response to the Carolina Review’s Dec. 3 article titled “ASG Breaking the Law,” by Marc Seelinger.

As the former ASG Vice President of Legislative and Public Affairs, I do not take kindly to Mr. Seelinger’s misrepresentation of my service to students.

As an aspiring journalist, he would have done well not to make audacious claims about laws, which he is neither qualified nor licensed to interpret.

Considering Mr. Seelinger’s proclivity for doling out legal advice to former ASG officers, he might want to review N.C. General Statutes 84-4 and 84-5. It offers strict penalties for those who attempt to “play lawyer.”

However, my best guess, since I am not a licensed attorney, is that Marc would be no more liable for playing lawyer than ASG is for playing lobbyist.

Nonetheless, Carolina Review’s Robert Novak-in-training should consider the laws regarding defamation and slander.

I would humbly suggest to all those interested in ASG’s advocacy efforts to read “So Sue Me,” an article written by former ASG President Greg Doucette. It answers most of Mr. Seelinger’s assertions about ASG’s lobbying activities. The logic found in Greg’s article is both sound and devoid of emotional rhetoric.

Chazz Clevinger

UNC ’09