All up in your business for February 8, 2011

Chapel Hill to feel new pulse

A new nightclub is coming to 136 E. Rosemary St. this month, with a tentative opening night of Feb. 11.

Richard Sergo, a junior at UNC, said he realized that Chapel Hill needed more nightclubs and pitched the idea of opening Club Pulse to his family, who now owns the new business.

“You can actually come and relax and enjoy yourself, or you can come out and grind on the dance floor all night long,” Sergo said.

Club Pulse, which will be an 18 and up venue, will have a cover charge of up to $10, depending on the age group and time of night, Sergo said.

It has more than 5,000 square feet of space and will have a maximum capacity of approximately 560 people.

“There’s no way to enjoy yourself when you’re slammed up against other people,” he said. “I’m trying to keep it a classy place.”

Students to sell accessories

Two UNC students are finding a new way to give back to the community while simultaneously furthering their studies.

On Feb. 4, Taylor Walters and Chelsea Crites, both seniors, will open 4, an accessories store that will sell jewelry, scarves, handbags and a variety of other accessories at 149 E. Franklin St.
Walters said most items will cost between $20 and $55.

“It came out of an independent study that Chelsea and I are doing with advertising professor Dana McMahan,” Walters said.

The profits from 4 will go to the Ronald McDonald House of Chapel Hill, the Center for Child & Family Health in Durham, TABLE in Carrboro and the Arc of Orange County.

“Chelsea and I each picked two,” Walters said. “I picked mine because they provide such a great service to the community, and I wanted to supplement this service.”

New focus on group fitness

Studio East 54, a new fitness center in Chapel Hill, will have its grand opening Feb. 19.

Owner Katie Martin said the center will focus on group workouts, offering four programs: Pilates, TRX Suspension Training, Xtend Barre and Zumba.

“Basically I wanted to bring together some of the hottest fitness workouts together in one place in Chapel Hill,” Martin said.

One-time class fees will range from $15 to $20, and value packs will be offered as well. Students can also receive a 10 percent discount with a valid student ID.

The center will not charge a membership fee but does offer a monthly unlimited package.

Studio East 54 will provide a more personalized and intimate setting than your average gym, Martin said.

“I’ve put together four fun programs,” she said. “It’s all about not being bored.”

Antonia’s replaces Tupelo’s

A new Italian restaurant will replace popular Southern restaurant Tupelo’s later this month.

Tupelo’s, which was located at 101 N. Churton St. in Hillsborough, closed Jan. 10.

The business was bought by Phillip Smith, his wife Antonia Berto, Claudia Salvadore and Naomi Lundahl.

“The hardest thing about it was that the business was excellent as far as how busy we were,” said Tupelo’s owner Matt Carroll. “The location was wonderful but the building was very old and very hard to keep up.”

The new venue will be called Antonia’s Restaurant and will serve authentic Italian and Mediterranean cuisine.

The restaurant will be using naturally raised meat and local ingredients in their menu, Smith said.

“It’s going to be hearty and fresh, a lot of homemade products,” he said.

Contact the City Editor at city@dailytarheel.com.