This year, as part of the UNC Build a Block project, the Carolina Library Community is raising $35,000 and contributing 2,000 hours of labor to help build a Habitat for Humanity house. This is a project led by students who have taken on the initiative to build 10 Habitat for Humanity houses for University and UNC Hospital employee families during this 2010-11 school year.

When Habitat for Humanity of Orange County collected applications for their new housing site, 85 percent of the applicants turned out to be UNC employees. The people qualifying for Habitat housing have jobs but still cannot afford adequate housing. They are hardworking members of the Carolina community, and I believe that they are more than deserving of homes of their own.

You can support the Carolina Library Community in its fundraising efforts as well! The Carolina Library Community’s next fundraiser will be a bingo night on Thursday, Feb. 24, from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. in Century Hall at the Carrboro Century Center. All ages are welcome. Bingo cards will cost $1, and we will be selling drinks for $1 and snacks for $0.50.

Come have some fun, win prizes from local businesses, and please help build a house.

Alani Nichols

Vice President

ISSUE