Taking on toking: North Carolina has better issues to address than K2

It was probably only a matter of time.

As surprising as it was that imitation cannabis was legalized at all, there is no doubt dedicated smokers of “spice” were well aware that its legal status was probably as short-lived as the high K2 itself gives.

A bill to ban imitation cannabis will probably be voted on this Thursday in the N.C. House and Senate.

N.C. Rep. Jimmy Dixon, R-Duplin, a co-sponsor of the bill, told The Daily Tar Heel that he expected the bill to pass.

In a country where medical marijuana is increasingly accepted, North Carolina stands to lose more than just tax dollars by banning K2.

While the general populace is, no doubt, supposed to feel thankful that our government has acted so forcefully to keep allegedly harmful substances out of consumers’ bodies, we would prefer it limits its actions to substances we have no choice in consuming — fire retardants in pillows, heavy metals in paints and other substances widely regarded as toxic.

Although a ban on K2 will probably not dissuade anyone from moving to North Carolina, it does send yet another signal that the state is moving in a different direction than much of the country.

Synthetic marijuana should be in the same category as alcohol and tobacco — substances that can be dangerous, but are highly regulated and heavily taxed.

Focusing on culture wars rather than actual governance is an easy out. The new Republican majority’s mandate was not to illegalize spice, but to enact more fiscally responsible policies.

No politician wants to be seen as soft on drugs but we wish — no doubt futilely — the N.C. General Assembly would focus on more pressing issues and not on devising a ban that will probably be circumvented in the coming years anyway.

With a ban on marijuana and now a possible one on synthetic cannabis, legislators should admit it’s not the substance they want to ban but the high.

Manufacturers will likely just come up with a new way to circumvent the letter but not the spirit of the ban.

It’s high time that state legislators stop making useless bans that limit their citizens’ freedoms and focus more on ways to solve the very real and substantive issues the state faces.