New shelter, for some

Hey, progressive Chapel Hillians, how high does your social justice meter go? Do you draw the line at thinking about the rights and treatment of sex offenders — one of society’s most stigmatized groups?

Apparently, that’s where our social service providers draw the line, when it comes to moving our only homeless shelter for men.

According to Human Rights Watch, “Most people assume that a registered sex offender is someone who has sexually abused a child or engaged in a violent sexual assault of an adult.”

But in fact, many states “require individuals to register as sex offenders even when their conduct did not involve coercion or violence, and may have had little or no connection to sex.”

The organization’s 2007 report “No Easy Answers” surprisingly found at least 13 states require registration for public urination, 25 require registration for genital exposure, even if no minors were present, and 29, including N.C., require registration for consensual sex between teenagers. Offenders are registered for years and in some cases life.

Ask yourself: Do you know anyone who has ever urinated outside, streaked during finals week or had consensual teenage sex?

So while many sex offenders may fit the stereotypical “predator profile,” not all do.

Once you cut through the fear that often clouds policy making, it turns out to be more complicated than just keeping dangerous predators away from potential victims. Moreover, those who do fit the predator profile present challenges we must understand if we wish to discourage recidivism and encourage safety.

Rising homelessness among sex offenders has received international media attention. Many states bar registrants from living within set distances of schools and facilities serving children; in N.C., the statute is 1,000 feet, since 2006.

Such laws have the unintended consequence of rendering offenders homeless by restricting legally available housing options.

On March 21, the Town Council will consider an application from the Inter-Faith Council for Social Service, which operates the men’s shelter at 100 W. Rosemary St and seeks to relocate to 1315 Martin Luther King, Jr. Blvd next to Homestead Park. Because the site is also adjacent to two churches that operate preschools, the N.C. 1,000 feet statute would not allow the rehabilitative housing program to serve sex offenders.

The IFC’s executive director knows this. He told local station WCHL that it is “foolish” for citizens to press this concern, because there aren’t homeless sex offenders in our community.

Yet in Raleigh today, 40 offenders register a downtown shelter as their address. And a 2008 study by the NC Department of Corrections found that one in 10 sex offenders released from prison “had no viable home plan and was at risk of homelessness.”

Apparently none of the decision makers (IFC, the town and UNC) behind the site selection for the new shelter grasped this issue.

It is not too late to find a better site — one that could help all homeless men.

Otherwise, we encourage vagrancy in an at-risk population, and subvert the very intent of both a rehabilitative housing program and a state law intended to keep our communities safe.

Jason Kirk is a guest columnist.