General Assembly redistricting set to finish in May

As the redistricting process winds to a close, N.C. Republicans are almost ready to redraw the state’s district maps and potentially gain a political advantage for years to come.

The state redistricts every 10 years, and as the former majority party, the Democrats had this job for most of the state’s recent history.

This time around, Republicans have pledged to make the process as open and fair as possible in response to past criticism calling the process politically motivated.

“Right now, we’re in the middle of the public hearings,” said Sen. Andrew Brock, R-Davie, vice chairman of the redistricting committee. “We’re trying to get as many people involved as possible.”

The hearings, which are a way to get the public’s input in the process, are being held at locations across the state, he said.

Appalachian State University, UNC-Pembroke and UNC-School of the Arts were among the places hearings were held, he said.

Many of the hearings are video teleconferences and will be broadcast via satellite on the General Assembly website, Brock said.

“We’d like to have a meeting everywhere we can, but logistically, that’s not possible, so we’re doing these satellite locations to get as many people’s input as possible,” he said.

The hearing process will continue for about two more weeks, Brock said. May 9 will be the last hearing, and the committee is expected to present its proposal to the House and Senate at the end of May.

Despite the Republican’s efforts, some are still voicing concern about the process not being transparent enough.

“There have been no plans drafted at this time,” said Sen. Floyd McKissick, D-Durham, a member of the redistricting committee.

And this poses a problem in getting true public input, he said.

Adam Sotak, organizing director of Democracy N.C., said the public hearings could be an effective way to help the public better understand redistricting.

“It’s interesting that this public hearing process is happening when the public hasn’t had a chance to view maps,” he said. “I wish the public had more to go on or react to.”

Republicans said the hearings were held before a map was drafted to get input as soon as possible.

They have given Democrats the chance to draft a map and provide feedback, Brock said.

“We’re going to do this very fair and equal where everyone has a say,” he said. “This is something we talked about when we were the minority.”

In previous years, the majority party had complete control of the redistricting, Brock said.

“I know what it was like to be in the minority and it wasn’t fair at all,” he said.

McKissick said he would have to wait and see how the process would turn out.

“I’m optimistic that it will be an open and hopefully inclusive process,” McKissick said. “I’m cautiously optimistic.”

Contact the State & National Editor at state@dailytarheel.com.