The privilege to play: Home-schoolers deserve access to athletics

Many students can recall good memories on the field or court as an athlete in high school. Home-schooled students should have a chance to make these memories as well.

The N.C. General Assembly should pass pending legislation allowing home-schooled students to participate in public school sports. An alternative choice of education should not keep children from a myriad of benefits to playing sports.

Parents choose to home-school their kids for many reasons. Whatever the case may be, it is an appropriate choice for a parent to take the reins in educating their child.

Most places, including here in Orange County, offer few if any, recreational sports leagues catered to high school students. Yet a high school’s athletic program may be a home-schooled student’s only chance to get involved in athletics.

The opportunity to participate in sports can profoundly affect a student’s future in higher education. As university students, we have a stake in supporting such opportunity.

High school athletes have a better chance of being noticed for collegiate scholarships. Home-schoolers cannot get this attention, which could even cost them college or a career. Athletes such as the 2007 Heisman Trophy winner Tim Tebow and former Miami Dolphins defensive end Jason Taylor were home-schooled students who played on high school football teams. Without equal access to public school sports, their career may not have happened.

Aside from the monetary advantages, sports are a constructive outlet for any student. It sounds cliché, but being on a sports team is a good social connection for home-schooled students who don’t have many peers to make friends with.

After all, we wouldn’t want to miss the opportunity for the next Tebow or Taylor to play for UNC.