UNC men’s soccer gears up for exciting season

On paper, the North Carolina men’s soccer team’s Sept. 4 match against Louisville should be the most emotionally charged game of the 2011 season for the Tar Heels.

But the team doesn’t appear to be sweating the rematch of the 2010 College Cup semifinal more than any other contest.

“The toughest games are not tough because of the opponent,” junior midfielder Enzo Martinez said. “How we prepare ourselves is the indication of how we will perform.”

Last year, UNC fell to the Cardinals after a last-minute goal in the semifinals of the College Cup. But along with the No. 1 recruiting class in the nation comes renewed hope of a return to the 2011 NCAA tournament.

This season’s matchup with Louisville will take place in the Nike Classic at Fetzer Field and will also include a matchup with the Beavers from Oregon State. The Tar Heels will jump directly into conference play after the Nike Classic with a trip to Blacksburg, Va., to play Virginia Tech.

Eight freshmen and two transfers will be playing in Carolina blue jerseys for the first time in 2011 — and more than likely, logging some serious playing time on the young squad.

College Soccer News All-American Matt Hedges is now a Tar Heel after three years at Butler. Hedges is capable of having an immediate impact on the field, especially alongside fellow transfer, and former University of Akron Zip, Ben Speas.

“With the incoming freshmen, it’s much harder to say who will rise up and contribute right away,” said first-year head coach Carlos Somoano.

“Even though they’re talented, it’s really the one who can adapt and make adjustments to the new environment, teammates and coaches.”

The Tar Heels are returning starters Martinez, senior Kirk Urso and senior Drew McKinney. Senior Cameron Brown will return to the field after sitting out last season due to injury.

Billy Schuler, who also missed much of the 2010 season while battling injuries, will also be back in action for UNC.

ACC ACC

“The ACC is going to be tough,” Urso said. “Especially Maryland, Virginia and Wake Forest — two of which are games we play away from home.”

During the offseason, the team has focused mainly on developing chemistry among players.

“We’re going to have a lot of new faces on the field,” Somoano said.

“We feel very good about the guys we have, but it’s a new team. Trying to get it together and get the chemistry right is going to be our challenge especially earlier in the year.”

Martinez, who was named to the Missouri Athletic Club Hermann Trophy Watch List for the upcoming season after posting a career-high 10 goals in 2010, will have to help fill the void left by seven graduates, including playmakers Jalil Anibaba, Michael Farfan and Eddie Ababio.

Six of the seven seniors on UNC’s squad in 2010 have begun professional soccer careers since graduation.

“In practice, we’re trying to combine our brains,” Martinez said.

“That way, we all know what the other person will do before they receive the ball.”

See a recap of the team’s 2-0 victory over Coastal Carolina on Friday.

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@dailytarheel.com.