Michael Bloomberg to give commencement speech

7461_0926_michaelbloomberg_tnailf.jpg

Michael Bloomberg, the mayor of New York City, will speak at commencement for the class of 2012 in May.

Michael Bloomberg can make it anywhere, including at UNC.

The mayor of New York City will give the commencement speech for the class of 2012 in May, Chancellor Holden Thorp said Friday.

Bloomberg, founder of financial services company Bloomberg LP and the 12th-richest person in the country, gained success as an innovator before entering politics, a past Thorp said will be appropriate for a crowd of graduating seniors.

“Mayor Bloomberg’s moderate approach to politics and the success he’s had with that in his position is also a very timely topic,” he said.

“He’s one of the most interesting Americans.”

The pick, which Thorp made from a list of 11 names, came much earlier than usual as part of an effort to ensure the University could attract high-profile individuals.

“In previous years, waiting to get started has really taken a toll on the type of individual they were able to get,” said Senior Class President Dean Drescher, a member of the commencement speaker selection committee that submitted the final list to Thorp.

That list was made up primarily of public figures and philanthropists, reflecting a desire to alternate speakers’ backgrounds from year to year, said Dr. Ron Strauss, executive associate provost and chief international officer, who led the group.

“There was a little bit of discussion this year that we wouldn’t go and have a more academic scientist since last year we had a Harvard University professor,” said Strauss, referring to biologist E.O. Wilson, the 2011 speaker.

Every year, the University’s commencement speaker appears for free. Bloomberg will be presented with an honorary doctor of laws degree, which was approved by the Faculty Council on Sept. 16, Thorp said.

The University offered the bid to Bloomberg through Peter Grauer, chairman of Bloomberg LP and a UNC alumnus, Thorp said. The company’s news division partners with the School of Journalism and Mass Communication on a handful of initiatives.

The commencement speaker selection committee, which was made up of students and faculty, met for the first time in February, and submitted its short list of names to Thorp on March 25, Strauss said. In the past, the committee wouldn’t conduct its first meeting until the beginning of September, he said.

Strauss wouldn’t release the other names on the short list, saying that the University will likely extend offers to some of them for future commencement speeches.

Contact the University Editor at university@dailytarheel.com.