Quickhits for September 29, 2011

East Carolina

4722_thumbsupo.jpg

ECU is adorably trying to fill Pitt or Syracuse’s Big East shoes. After the ACC stole two of the Big East’s teams, the least we could do was give them something from North Carolina. Chock it up to Southern hospitality.

Rick Perry … and roadkill

4719_thumbsdowno.jpg

Gov. Rick Perry has made some distasteful remarks in his day, but “I’ve had roadkill that tasted better than that” might take the cake. The “that” in the quote from 1992 was N.C. barbecue. That’s no way to win a swing state.

David Simon

Simon, creator of the hit show “The Wire,” visited Monday to spread a doomsday message only a former reporter could whip up. As if his show on “B-more’s” drug industry didn’t already convince us of our country’s downfall.

Gov. Perdue’s proposal

4719_thumbsdowno.jpg

Gov. Perdue made the odd proposal Tuesday of suspending Congressional elections for two years. With her poll numbers, she might want to table that proposal and suspend her own re-election instead.

Herman Cain

Not even kidding, Herman Cain won the Florida straw poll. If you look past the faith you’ve lost in humanity/the GOP, this is an underdog story. And it shows that Florida shuns candidates who diss good barbecue. (See QuickHit above)

Vinegar

4722_thumbsupo.jpg

People were “full of piss and vinegar” this week with news that some developing countries have used vinegar to screen cervical cancer, begging the question: Where else can we unleash the power of salad dressing?