BOG right to discuss improving access for military students

The Board of Governors chose a good time Thursday to discuss reforms to make college more of a possibility for members of the U.S. military. Just days before the 10th anniversary of 9/11, a day that resulted in the deployment of thousands of soldiers, the board recognized its position to give back to the troops and the necessary steps it can take to improve the openness of the UNC system’s 16 universities to veterans and active personnel.

In UNC SERVES, the UNC Systemwide Evaluation and Recommendation for Veterans Education and Services, the board was presented a clear method of improving access, retention and graduation rates.

The BOG discussed increasing online course offerings, streamlining the process for transferring military course credit and creating an environment open to defense research on campuses. Also discussed were course requirements that would allow student soldiers to forego mandatory physical health classes that stand in the way of the timely completion of their degrees.

The military has been especially important to North Carolina. On a per capita basis, the state boasts the highest percentage of residents serving in the country.

The report cites that veterans generally outperform non-veterans at the university level. With our state’s many military installations, these veterans will more than likely stay in-state after graduating and contribute back to North Carolina.

With an increase in veterans being admitted and graduating, the UNC system would better serve the people of North Carolina by striving to serve veterans and further enable them to give back to our great state.

Attracting these military personnel will serve both the service members and the schools. The BOG showed a clear understanding of the need for these changes and should move promptly to implement them for the betterment of the state.