Viewpoint: Polarizing Horowitz advertisement sends the wrong message — and in the wrong tone for a discussion

Discrimination seems to be an unfortunate motif in much of the campus dialogue since the first issues of The Daily Tar Heel at the beginning of this semester. The full-page “public service” piece paid for by the David Horowitz Freedom Center and published in Tuesday’s paper does little to enhance the perception of our campus and cripples any attempts at dialogue and discussion. This polarizing article in no way recognizes the legitimacy of the Palestinian perspective or the necessity of a two-state solution.

By not doing so it discredits anyone who professes themselves to be pro-Israel and pro-peace.

As leaders of UNC Hillel, we would like to assert that the opinions expressed in the Horowitz piece in no way reflect the totality of Jewish and Zionist opinion on the conflict.

According to the Hillel Israel policy, “Hillel welcomes a diversity of student perspectives on Israel and strives to create an inclusive, pluralistic community where students can discuss matters of interest and/or concern about Israel and the Jewish people in a civil manner.”

To call the tone of Horowitz’s essay “civil” is laughable; simply mentally substitute every instance of the word “Palestinian” or “Arab” for “Jew,” “African-American” or any other section of society and see if it doesn’t resemble the prose of a discriminatory past.

The DHFC has the right to express any view that it wishes, but we strongly disapprove of the tone and unilateral language of the piece.

We at UNC Hillel reject the one-sided and polarizing statements made by the DHFC, and we wish to reaffirm our belief that the Jewish and Palestinian peoples retain equal rights to self-determination and statehood.

Hillel supports a multilateral, negotiated two-state solution that ensures security, social justice and democracy for all residents of both Israel and the future state of Palestine. Hillel seeks to promote peaceful and constructive dialogue concerning the Israeli/Palestinian conflict.

If you are interested in participating in such a conversation or simply want more information, please email the Hillel Israel Committee co-chairmen, Jacob Plitman, at jacobplitman@gmail.com, and Haley Sklut, at sklut1@gmail.com.