LGBTQ climate lacking at UNC

A report released Monday identifies recommendations for action regarding University policies on sexual orientation, gender identity and gender expression to create an inclusive environment.

The Campus Climate Report, compiled by Terri Phoenix, director of the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Queer Center, responds to a survey of 416 members of the University community.

It outlines 12 recommendations to the University for action, including the creation of a gender neutral housing option on campus, adding that a lack of such housing could be a deterrent to prospective students.

Jeff DeLuca, former co-chairman of the Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender and Straight Alliance, said he is excited to see a movement toward gender-neutral housing.

“I’m really excited for how far it’s come,” he said.

Kevin Claybren, a student advocate of gender neutral housing and co-author of the student proposal for its implementation, said he is ecstatic to see support.

“This is definitely a good step forward for acceptance, inclusivity and safety on campus,” he said.

“I’m just really happy that this is going in the right direction after all the hard work of student organizations and myself to get this movement started.”

Survey results showed lesbian, gay, bisexual and queer respondents reported verbal harassment and fear for their physical safety at a higher rate than heterosexual respondents.

Of respondents identifying as lesbian, gay, bisexual and queer, 27.5 percent reported verbal harassment and 25.5 percent reported fearing for their physical safety due to their sexual orientation, according to the report.

Transgender respondents reported the highest rates of verbal harassment and fear.

“It’s really troubling that there is an atmosphere on campus where queer students can’t feel totally and completely safe like their straight peers,” DeLuca said.

“It’s something the administration needs to be making sure it is taking very deliberate steps to address.”

The report also recommends emphasis by the chancellor and administrators on providing benefits equity, including health insurance, for UNC employees with same-sex spouses and dependents.

Executive Vice Chancellor and Provost Bruce Carney sent an announcement about the report in an email to students, faculty and staff Monday.

“One recommendation from the report was to increase opportunities for education and outreach,” he wrote in the email.

“This is especially important for our entire campus community since the most frequently identified locations of harassment were Franklin Street, the Pit, respondents’ offices or places of employment and residence halls.”

Report recommendations call for better education of administrators about harassment, adding that they should be held accountable for addressing problems when reported.

Other recommendations aim to increase awareness of LGBTQ issues, create a safer environment on campus and on Franklin Street and make reporting harassment and discrimination easier.

Specific steps in dealing with recommendations should be developed in partnership with LGBTQ-focused groups, the report states.

Contact the University Editor at university@dailytarheel.com.