For the Chapel Hill Town Council, “sorry” seems to be the hardest word.

While much of the debate over the raid on the former Yates Motor Company building focused on the use of assault rifles, a profoundly important detail was lost in the clamor — the detention of two reporters covering the story.

We may sometimes forget that within our idyllic bubble that we are not immune from a truth made famous by a quote of Lord Acton: “Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely.”

I do not assert any police corruption per se in last week’s raid, never mind my opinions on the amount of force used. This is no reason to take the detention of the reporters lightly.

The right to a free press is guaranteed by the First Amendment and is a cornerstone of a true democracy.

Further, journalists, as well as legal observers and other folks equipped with cellphones, have helped bring to light the corrupt few who chill the exercise of our First Amendment rights through brutality and intimidation.

I applaud Councilwoman Laurin Easthom, who proposed making an official apology on behalf of the town, and Ed Harrison and Sally Greene, who voted in support of it.

This apology was voted down, however. In the meantime, let us first personally thank the officers who protect us honorably.

However, let us also never forget to exercise and support our right to a press that is truly free — free of fear of detention or arrest.

Joseph Polich
Graduate Student
UNC School of Law