Marshall ready for UNC season opener

It was scary at first for Kendall Marshall, because the pain in his back was something he had never felt before.

Marshall injured his back on Nov. 3 and gave his teammates a scare. But North Carolina’s starting point guard said he now feels 100 percent, just in time for the Tar Heels’ game Friday against Michigan State on the U.S.S. Carl Vinson in San Diego, Calif.

“That was the first time I have ever felt a spasm of that sort,” Marshall said. “It was a little scary at the time, but when I woke up the next day it felt three times as good.”

And after that, it continued to improve. UNC didn’t practice the day following his injury, and coach Roy Williams limited Marshall in practice on Saturday.

“(Monday) he only planned on letting me do less than 50 percent, but I ended up being out there the whole time,” Marshall said. “I told him I felt great, and I feel 100 percent.”

That’s good news for the Tar Heels, who clearly picked up the pace once Marshall took over starting point guard duties last season.

UNC knows playing without Marshall would be much more difficult.

“Dexter (Strickland) is a great point guard, but at the same time he can’t compare with Kendall,” UNC forward Tyler Zeller said. “Kendall’s a superb passer and does a great job of running the offense.”

*UNC races quick turnaround *

Quick turnaround against a deceptively talented team? Roy Williams has been there before.

On Jan. 4, 2010, then-No. 9 North Carolina fell to College of Charleston on the road.

And in case Williams forgot, Cougars head coach Bobby Cremins was happy to remind him in a recent conversation.

“(Cremins) said, ‘Roy, why would you do that?’,” Williams said. “And I said, ‘Well, we’re opening up their new arena.’ He said, ‘You remember you did that for us a couple of years ago and we beat you?’”

The turnaround and time of the year made it a little tough back then, but this time it might be much more difficult.

After playing in the Carrier Classic on Friday, UNC will head back to its hotel, shower and then board a red-eye plane headed for Asheville in order to take on the Bulldogs on Sunday for the first game in their new arena.

Williams said once the team arrives in Asheville Saturday morning he’ll let them sleep some before an afternoon practice.

“Some of my coaching buddies think it’s wacko, but you have to challenge teams so many different ways,” Williams said. “This is a big challenge and it is an unusual circumstance because you have to be able to make adjustments on the fly.”

There are, believe it or not, benefits to the quick turnaround. Asheville was a NCAA tournament team last season and is returning four starters — certainly a legitimate challenge.

Zeller knows the team is going to be tired, but he expects that to bring him and his teammates closer together.

“It’s always great when you get on the road,” Zeller said. “You spend time with your teammates, and get closer as a team. It’s going to be tough, but at the same time I think this team is capable of doing it.”

Williams to wear secret outfit

More than anything, Williams and his players said they are looking forward to honoring the members of America’s military while playing in the Carrier Classic.

“I’ve always said I couldn’t do what they do, so I have a lot of respect for them,” Zeller said. “It’ll be fun to give back to them.”

It’s fitting that during the game, which will be played on Veteran’s Day, both teams will wear camouflage uniforms.

But Williams’ outfit still remains a secret.

“I’m going to be wearing a little different outfit than I normally do,” Williams said. “You guys will have to show up to see.”

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@dailytarheel.com.