North Carolina retains the victory bell 37-21

Tar Heels beat Duke on senior day

Carolina tailback Giovani Bernard breaks away from the Duke defense to score a touchdown in the second quarter. The Tar Heels defeated the Blue Devils 37-21 at Kenan Stadium on Saturday.

In the final game of the regular season with the victory bell on the line the North Carolina football team took down the Duke Blue Devils 37-21.

In his last game at Kenan Stadium, Dwight Jones pulled in three touchdown grabs and put up more than 100 yards while setting the North Carolina record for receptions in a season. He also eclipsed 2,000 career receiving  yards during the win.

Renner tied the single season UNC record for touchdowns with 23 of them this season as he went 21 for 34 racking up 274 yards. Of those 23 touchdowns, 11 went to Jones. Hakeem Nicks holds the school record for touchdown catches with 12 of them.

But those weren’t the only records in play on the Saturday. 

Freshman running back Gio Bernard had a career high 165 yards giving him a UNC freshman record for yards on the year with more than 1200. Bernard scored on a 48 yard scamper in the second quarter.

The Tar Heels took a 20-14 lead in to halftime thanks to two Thomas Moore field goals. Moore finished the day 3 for 3 with a long of 46. Coming in to Saturday, UNC had made only three field goals all year.