UNC undergraduate student tapped to lead Orange County Democrats

Despite his age, UNC student Matt Hughes has shown the Orange County Democratic Party he is the man for the job.

Hughes, a North Carolina Teaching Fellow and political science major, was elected as the Orange County Democratic Party chairman Monday.

And many think his young perspective will be an advantage.

“He has enough talent to make up for what he doesn’t have in experience,” said David Caldwell, second vice-chairman of the party.

Hughes, who is only 21 years old, said he has been involved in politics for essentially all of his adult life.

He said his political career started when he founded a chapter of the Young Democrats of America at his high school.

“Politics has always interested me,” he said. “I wanted to advance the ideals of the Democratic Party, and taking on leadership roles is one way.”

This will be Hughes’ fourth elected position in the Democratic Party over the last three years, in addition to holding various state and congressional positions.

He said because of this experience, he doesn’t think it will be hard to adjust to his new role.

“The only thing that’s new is the position,” he said.

Although he ran unopposed this year, his colleagues say Hughes has their full confidence because of his track record and personal qualities.

Sara Biggers, treasurer of the Orange County Democratic Party, said she thinks Hughes is intelligent and well-connected.

“Matt has a better grasp and understanding of the Democratic Party on a local, state and national level than most people I’ve met,” said Biggers.

“He made it his business to acquire the knowledge he needs to do his job well.”

Previous Chairwoman Linda Chewning, who resigned, said she would not have been able to leave her position if she did not have so much confidence in Hughes’ ability to lead the party.

“There was no other question about who should take over,” she said.
Hughes is one of many UNC students who have held important positions in local politics.

Carrboro Mayor Mark Chilton was elected to the Chapel Hill Town Council in 1991 as an undergraduate at UNC, and recent graduate Lee Storrow was elected to the council this year.

“It’s very good to have a visible symbol of young people in politics,” said Orange County Democratic Party Secretary Vicki Boyer.

And Hughes said he thinks his youth gives him energy and enthusiasm ­— assets he plans to use in his responsibilities like fundraising, recruiting volunteers, and winning Democratic votes for the re-election of Gov. Bev Perdue and President Barack Obama.

“I see myself as the county’s number-one cheerleader,” said Hughes. “It seems like a daunting path but I’m optimistic, and I’m ready for the challenge.”

Contact the City Editor
at city@dailytarheel.com