North Carolina imports 94 percent of its energy from other states in the form of coal, nuclear power and natural gas, but that could change in the near future.

A panel of professors, legal experts and wind energy advocates discussed the state’s potential to become a leader in offshore wind energy Monday.

More than 70 people attended the event held in Howell Hall, where the panel discussed the obstacles wind energy proponents will face before the state shifts toward renewable energy sources, such as wind.

“North Carolina has the largest offshore wind potential of any state on the East Coast,” said Brian O’Hara, president of the North Carolina Offshore Wind Coalition.

“North Carolina also has the lowest construction costs of any state on the East Coast,” O’Hara said. “All of this points to a big economic and environmental opportunity for this state.”

However, offshore wind energy faces many obstacles before becoming a reality.

Lisa Schiavinato, president of the Coastal Society, said the lack of government policy on the subject of offshore wind energy is preventing construction of wind turbines.

“There is no law that talks about offshore wind energy,” Schiavinato said. “We will need to know who would be in charge and what permits would be needed.”

O’Hara said coal is a relatively cheap source of energy, but wind power is much less harmful to the environment.

“Coal is inexpensive but we pay more for coal than what shows up on our electricity bill,” O’Hara said.

Organizers of the panel said they hoped to get students involved by holding the event on campus.

“We thought having the panel here would be more successful for the students,” said Erin Hiatt, co-chairwoman of the renewable energy special projects committee of student government.

The committee worked with the Sierra Student Coalition, the Roosevelt Insititute and the UNC Institute for the Environment to organize the event.

Contact the University Editor at university@dailytarheel.com.