UNC men's basketball to face tough Wisconsin defense

Kendall Marshall drives to the hoop.
Kendall Marshall drives to the hoop.

As far as bounce-back games go, No. 9 Wisconsin might be one of the last opponents a team fresh off a loss wants to play.

No. 5 North Carolina lost to UNLV on Saturday in a game that coach Roy Williams said the Tar Heels played with a lack of intensity. Now UNC is preparing to face one of the most physical teams in the country.

But the Tar Heels are also in a much different frame of mind.

“We realize things that we have to get better at from the last game, and we are just focused on improving that,” point guard Kendall Marshall said. “We didn’t plan on losing this early in the season, but I think it’s a nice monkey to have off of our back.”

But getting back on that winning wagon against the Badgers — one of the nation’s most efficient offensive and defensive teams — will be a challenge.

“They’re really impressive,” Williams said. “They guard you. They score, and they shoot like the dickens.”

UNC will likely have its leading scorer Harrison Barnes, who sprained his ankle against UNLV, although his availability was in question early this week.

A tweet from the athletics department said Barnes participated fully in practice Tuesday and is expected to play.

But Barnes or no Barnes, UNC is the first ranked opponent Wisconsin will play this season. Still, the Badgers’ numbers are no less impressive. Wisconsin leads the nation with an assist to turnover ratio of 1.94 and ranks first in the country in points allowed and field goal percentage defense.

Through six games, the Badgers have allowed 39.2 points per game and have held their opponents to an equally staggering 30.5 percent field goal percentage.

“The most impressive thing is the 30.5,” Williams said. “We can go out there and hold teams to 50 points. I mean, we really can. But I don’t know that we can go out there and hold teams to 30.5 percent from the field.”

Wisconsin has always been a tough defensive team, but the Badgers aren’t limited to playing good defense.

Leading the charge on offense is senior point guard Jordan Taylor, much like the Tar Heels and Marshall.

“I think both of them really like to make their team win,” Williams said. “They’re more facilitators than they are scorers even though Jordan can score.”

Taylor scored 18.1 points, grabbed 4.1 rebounds and dished out 4.74 assists a game last season. He also led the nation with a 3.83 assist to turnover ratio.

“Wisconsin isn’t known for having McDonald’s All-Americans, but they have a great coach,” Marshall said. “On the court it starts with a great point guard, and he goes out there and leads them.”
Sounds familiar.

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@dailytarheel.com.