Chapel Hill planners seek student input on Chapel Hill 2020

10244_0123_2020_straubf.jpg

Chancellor Holden Thorp doesn’t want his ideas on innovation to be limited to the University. He wants the town to incorporate them as well.

Thorp was the keynote speaker Saturday at Chapel Hill 2020’s Innovation Unconference, which was both a brainstorming event and the latest effort to increase student involvement in forming a new comprehensive plan aimed at guiding town growth for the next decade.

Officials said the event’s on-campus location would likely increase student involvement in the project, but while several students attended Thorp’s speech, not one attended the afternoon small group meetings.

Before the event, planners said they hoped to gather information on what students want included in the comprehensive plan and ways to keep UNC graduates in Chapel Hill.

Suzanne Fleishman, member of Fair, Local, Organic Food — a campus organization focused on food sustainability and one of the few groups that attended Thorp’s speech — said members of the organization wanted to gain insight on the Chapel Hill 2020 process. ­

She said the meeting’s 9:30 a.m. start time and the all-day length might have deterred students, but she hopes more students will get involved in the future.

“I can understand that most students might not be interested in how Chapel Hill will work in 2020 … although we might not be students then, there are going to be other students,” she said.

Thorp spoke about local start-ups and UNC’s influence on entrepreneurship in Chapel Hill.

“All of us relate to the community in multiple ways, and I think our process will be successful if it accounts for all of that,” he said in his speech.

“When we focus on attracting people and creating an environment, that’s when we’re going to succeed.”

Garrett Davis, long range planner for Chapel Hill, said Thorp’s speech showed how the University can generate economic activity in the community going forward.

“I think that he made it clear what the University has done and can do,” he said.

Group discussions focused on transportation, affordable housing, business and education.

Keeping with the economy-focused theme, the groups addressed the importance of local start-ups in providing jobs, contributing taxes and increasing community vibrancy.

Davis said he thinks the town and University’s goal of ensuring local business’ success is important to Chapel Hill’s security going forward.

“I think that’s one of those things that makes you feel safe,” he said.

Though no students attended, group members said it is important for the plan to accommodate young people’s innovations.

“We don’t really know what kinds of things will be generated by this generation,” said Diane Robertson, a Carrboro resident.

Contact the City Editor

at city@dailytarheel.com