Herman Cain’s plans to visit UNC are ‘up in the air’

10741_0124_hermancain_tnailf.jpg

Herman Cain

UNC students eager to see former Republican presidential candidate Herman Cain might have to wait a little longer than originally expected.

Greg Steele, chairman of the College Republicans, said the group initially aimed for Cain to speak at UNC on March 1 but now has pushed the date back to March 23.

Student Congress approved $10,622 on Feb. 7 for the College Republicans to bring Cain to UNC.

Members of the College Republicans have been working with the conservative youth organization Young America’s Foundation to set up a date for Cain to speak on campus, Steele said.

He added that Cain is scheduled to speak at a Young America’s Foundation conference in Raleigh that weekend, creating the possibility that the College Republicans could piggyback off the engagement.

“We believe we could perhaps save even a little bit more money by bringing him to Carolina on Friday evening to speak, and he could be at the conference on Saturday,” he said.

The delay in date confirmation can be attributed to the Conservative Political Action Conference in Washington, D.C. last weekend, which members of the group attended, Steele said.

Zach De La Rosa, speaker of Student Congress, said the body decided to allow Cain to speak based on his background in politics and the economy.

“While he is first and foremost a political figure, he also has a pretty strong economic background and will hopefully have a positive contribution to the UNC community,” De La Rosa said.

The full cost of the event will be around $15,000, leaving more than $4,000 for the College Republicans to raise.

Jared Simmons, chairman of the finance committee of Student Congress, said while he believes the College Republicans can raise the additional money needed for the event, Student Congress cannot provide the group with any more money if it does not.

“Logistically, there’s not enough time to ask us for more money, and they wouldn’t be granted any more,” Simmons said.

Steele said he hopes private donors in Orange County and the surrounding area will help to pay the remaining costs.

As of now, fundraising and promotion for the event is on hold until Cain’s camp contacts the College Republicans, Steele said.

“It’s all up in the air, at least for this week,” Steele said.

“We sent him all of our dates that we’re available, so we’re arranging for something between March 1 and April 12.”

Contact the University Editor at university@dailytarheel.com.