Jones guards Tar Heels’ tunnel for 26th year

10454_0206_charliejones_dworakf.jpg
Charlie Jones waves the men's basketball team onto the court.

The most seasoned veteran of the Smith Center walks out of the tunnel like the rest of the players ­— but he remains there for the whole game.

Charlie Jones, dressed in a Carolina blue jacket, has been supervisor of that tunnel since the Smith Center opened 25 years ago. His primary responsibility is to keep unauthorized people from entering the tunnel.

Now 73, Jones has spent the past decades in what he considers the best seat in the house.

“I like seeing the people, the players and the enthusiasm of the ball game,” he said. “This really is a class act.”

On Wednesday, Jones will experience one of his favorite games of every season — the UNC vs. Duke game. He hasn’t missed one in 27 years.

Jones said his all-time favorite game of the rivalry was when UNC beat Duke in 1986.

“Beating Duke is like winning a championship, or one of the things closest to it,” he said. “Any Duke win is a favorite win, but that year was the best.”

Whenever Duke fans walk through his tunnel, Jones offers them a piece of advice.

He has told many of them, including former Duke player Jay Bilas and current head coach Mike Krzyzewski, to put on a Carolina blue tie when walking through.

“They always say, ‘You gotta be kidding me,’” he said.

But Jones’ love for UNC basketball is no joke to players and coaches. He developed a relationship with former coach Dean Smith, and grew to respect him.

“I thought a lot of Dean,” he said. “He told me I was his good luck charm.”

“He’d always come over to me no matter what and shake my hand — he said that it was tradition.”

Eric Montross, a former UNC basketball player, said Jones gives a sense of familiarity to players.

“It is always a treat to come out the tunnel and see him here. It’s like once you get used to it, it makes you feel like you’re at home,” Montross said.

“To us, as players and ex-players, the identity in this place is built in the people like Charlie who have been here so long.”

After seeing three national championship teams come through, Jones said he feels like he is a part of every win and every loss in the Smith Center.

He said he provides the players with a sense of support and encouragement throughout every game.

“It always makes you feel good when players come back and they remember you,” he said.

“Not that I feel like I’m any better than anyone here, but it makes you feel privileged that you get to meet those people.”

Jones is a native of Wilson, but moved to Durham in 1967. He has four children, seven grandchildren and a wife of 49 years who works at Duke University.

But even though his wife works there, she is not a fan, he said.

“You can’t dress the devil up in blue and cheer for him,” Jones said. “Someone asked me if my wife was a Duke fan, and I told him that’s grounds for divorce.”

Clint Gwaltney, the associate athletic director of the ticket office, said Jones is famous around the Smith Center from his many years serving the University.

“Charlie is a legend,” he said.

But Jones said he is humbled by his popularity and owes some of the best times of his life to his job in the tunnel.

“I look at the Dean Dome like an Alka-Seltzer,” he said. “After you see it when you come up that hill, relief is only a sight away.”

Contact the University Editor at university@dailytarheel.com.