UNC offers noise violation program

The University’s central Greek office is beginning to reach out to all off-campus students.

Last summer, as part of an ongoing reform of Greek life as a whole, the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life added “and Community Involvement” to its name in an effort to become a resource for all off-campus students.

The office is now earning its new name.

Aaron Bachenheimer, director of the office, said helping the off-campus student community translates into a few different initiatives.

Starting last semester, Bachenheimer has begun working with the Chapel Hill Police Department to educate on noise complaints and safety violations.

Bachenheimer and Chapel Hill community liaison officer Kenneth Lennon have visited about a dozen student residences with reported violations since the start of this school year.

The two then talk to the students about being responsible neighbors in order to try to prevent further violations.

“It helps students to see a University face like (Bachenheimer’s) when receiving a visit for a violation because it both lessens the blow of receiving a police visit while also conveying the magnitude of being responsible University students,” Lennon said.

He said students usually only need a friendly reminder to prevent further violations.

Bachenheimer said the program has received positive feedback from both residents and the neighbors who made the complaints.

“We want to get together when issues have to do with student residents,” he said.

Both Bachenheimer and Lennon said that they have never encountered a repeat offense from residents who have received visits.

But partnering with the town is not the office’s only outreach program.

UNC Student Legal Services and the office are starting monthly information sessions today on legal issues surrounding off-campus living.

Bachenheimer said the sessions include advice on topics like signing lease agreements and security measures for off campus homes.

Dorothy Bernholz, director of UNC Student Legal Services, said she is excited about the program and hopes to teach students about their legal rights and responsibilities.

“One of our goals is to provide preventative legal services to all students,” she said.

Contact the University Editor at university@dailytarheel.com.