The DTH would not have made light of a murder here at UNC

Although I believe the cartoon about Trayvon Martin in Thursday’s DTH was meant to be satirical and not offensive, it was inappropriate on all levels.

I’m sure nothing like this would ever be printed if the murder had occurred here on campus, whether the victim was black or white, because the DTH would have respected the mourning of the students.

The editor and the newspaper as a whole need to take the responsibility of choosing illustrations and words seriously, especially considering students’ passion on this campus regarding the Trayvon Martin case.

You would not appreciate it if another newspaper had written a satirical piece about Eve Carson’s murder. Respect others’ feelings, even if you do not agree with them.

Bianca Brown
African-American studies

Trayvon Martin’s death is a social justice issue for all of humanity

I was very disturbed upon coming across the cartoon depicting the death of Trayvon Martin. UNC claims to be an inclusive university; that is supposed to be evident by the type of students it recruits.

The innocent slaughtering of a young male due to his race is not just an issue for the demographic of people it involves, but is an issue for all of the human race. It is a social justice issue that clearly isn’t being understood in this context.

As a result of publishing this cartoon, one is forced to question the DTH’s integrity, maturity and sensitivity to issues affecting many students, and the general public.

I pray that in the future, the staff, as well as other individuals who feel the need to satirize devastating events, and thus perpetuate the use of racial overtones, remember that although all identify with particular racial groups, we are collectively a part of the human race.

Ashlyn Sanders
Physics

Cartoon undermines activism at UNC following Martin’s death

I was disappointed, to say the least, with the cartoon in Thursday’s paper. The sentiments surrounding the death of Trayvon Martin hit home for far too many people.

Especially with the collaboration of students, faculty and staff depicted on the front page, it makes it seem as though their efforts were simply for show.

In the future, please consider the repercussions surrounding such a sensitive issue before displaying such a morbid depiction of someone’s son. Trayvon Martin was a real person who was murdered; we shouldn’t make a cartoon of that.

Javan Cross ’12
African-American studies
and communication studies

As a representative of UNC, the DTH should not mock injustice

As a recent UNC graduate, I am completely appalled that you would allow such a horrific cartoon to be displayed in the DTH. I thought the DTH was supposed to positively reflect our amazing university and community, but you have done the total opposite. I am truly ashamed that this paper is associated with my great alma mater. How dare you allow this cartoon, which in my eyes pokes fun at the murder of Trayvon Martin?

Furthermore, to suggest that race is not a factor in this case is ludicrous. This cartoon is a complete insult to the Martin family and all their supporters who are seeking justice for the murder of Trayvon. He was robbed of his future in this world by a cowardly man who acted out of hatred.

The decision to include this cartoon in Thursday’s paper makes it seem like the DTH is taking this matter light-heartedly. This case highlights injustices that remain an issue in “the land of the free” in 2012.

Maeva Williamson ’11

The cartoonist didn’t consider the feelings of Martin’s loved ones

Last year, I graduated from UNC. I am a proud supporter of my school. It deeply saddens me that today such an insensitive and heartbreaking cartoon was published.

A mockery of a controversial death, an uncalled for attempt of jest — it is a poor representation of our great university. A life was taken, a life which held promise for a family. I wonder if the cartoonist thought about Trayvon’s family, his friends, his loved ones. I did not know Trayvon. I never looked into his eyes to see his promise. I am only a young alumna disappointed in the lack of tact displayed by students at a university I adore.

I am a young black woman who wishes to see respect and empathy for all. Today, I asked myself what should be done to bring about a change. Things like this shouldn’t happen. I am asking you to take a look inside yourself and do the right thing.

Jessica Richardson ’11