Videmus fest brings classical music from underrepresented artists

11445_0321_videmus_gaylordf.jpg
Music professor and Videmus Festival organizer Louise Topper sits at the piano in her office.

The prominent faces of classical music look incredibly similar — white and male.

UNC’s Videmus fest aims to change that perception.

The festival, which runs today through Sunday, will feature the works of women, blacks and other underrepresented groups of composers.

The event will celebrate the 25th anniversary of Videmus, a nonprofit arts organization based in Durham.

Louise Toppin, director of Videmus and music professor at UNC, said she was approached by the University to develop this year’s “Festival on the Hill.”

Toppin said the festival is open to UNC students as well as those from other universities and high schools throughout the South.

“These musicians and composers are not a part of their curriculum because there’s not enough time to cover them,” Toppin said.

The festival will feature 29 events — all but two of which are free and open to the public — including esteemed opera performers, composers and students and faculty from the UNC music department.

“It’s a rare opportunity to engage with some of the composers,” Toppin said.

Jazz musician Herbie Hancock is one of the biggest names performing through the festival.

“We’re really proud that we’re able to host Herbie Hancock in Memorial Hall,” said Ellen James, marketing and communications manager for Carolina Performing Arts.

The theme of the festival is “Reflecting on the Past … Reaching Toward the Future.” Toppin said that Videmus has tried to include the works of overlooked composers in the past as well as composers and musicians of today.

“We always focus on making sure we’re chronicling the history,” she said.

“The festival was influenced by the people who have participated, but we also try to take a look back and have that conversation of ‘Where is it going in the future?’”

Darryl Taylor, a professional singer and a music professor at the University of California-Irvine, will sing a range of compositions.

Taylor said he worked with Toppin when they were both graduate students and has worked with Videmus for 10 years recording music and serving on the board of directors.

“Videmus is important and the work that it does is largely done quietly,” Taylor said. “It helps to stir the consciousness of many people.”

Taylor said he wants to break stereotypes about black composers.

“It’s logical to represent a broad swath of cultural leanings that represent African-Americans,” he said.

He also said the 25th anniversary of Videmus lends a special importance to the event.

“It’s a milestone that’s undeniable and should not be ignored.”

Contact the Arts Editor at arts@dailytarheel.com.