The Daily Tar Heel has taken some heat lately for allowing good news to break out on the editorial page.

The news? Student groups addressing the conflict in Palestine/Israel decline to be manipulated against one another.

A letter from the chairman of the philosophy department complained that nobody who wrote editorials chose to repeat the words of a well-paid, fire-breathing provocateur who spoke on UNC’s campus recently.

Oddly enough, the fact that students starting from diverse backgrounds and loyalties would reject a firefight with each other was deemed a disappointment.

Long years of tears and sorrow suffered by families on all sides of this conflict are being examined by UNC student groups who come to the subject with compassion and serious intent. I think we all have reason to be impressed.

These student groups and The Daily Tar Heel appear to share the best traditions of Jewish, Palestinian and interfaith peace organizations who declare, “We Will Not Be Divided” and “We Will Not Be Enemies.”

National media tend to keep conflict alive by merely offering inflammatory snapshots, without real context, “helping” us to cherish preconceptions.

They typically exclude the voices of Jewish Voice for Peace; Muslim and Christian peace coalition; Young, Jewish and Proud; Sabeel and a long and expanding list including our own campus groups.

The Daily Tar Heel’s recent editorial page leads in a productive direction, and gives reason for pride in the intellectual culture at UNC.

Jerry Markatos
Co-founder, Balance & Accuracy in Journalism
Pittsboro, N.C