UNC football team committed to growth under Larry Fedora in spite of recent sanctions

Kevin Reddick isn’t concerned with what North Carolina can’t do this season.

He’s only focused on what the Tar Heels can control.

“Our goal is just to go out there and win 12 games,” said Reddick, a senior linebacker. “My mindset is to stop somebody else from going to the ACC championship or going to a bowl game.”

On Wednesday, the UNC football team took part in its first of 14 spring practices, preparing for a season in which a chance at the postseason has been wiped off the board.

The NCAA concluded its two-year-long investigation Monday, levying a one-year postseason ban, three years of probation and the reduction of 15 scholarships on the UNC football program.

But despite the sanctions, the general sense around the practice field wasn’t one of disappointment.

“I think the best thing for these guys is it’s out, and it’s done,” new head coach Larry Fedora said. “And now they know they can move forward, and nobody has to dwell on it anymore.”

Wednesday, in many ways, was a fresh start for UNC.

And under a new coaching staff, the Tar Heels took to Navy Field with a level of effort that left Fedora impressed.

“I want to commend them on their energy level today and the intensity and the way they focused today,” Fedora said. “They did a lot of really good things, and in fact, they surprised me.”

Even with that high intensity level, Fedora said the Tar Heels were only practicing at about half speed.

But that will change as the practice season progresses.

UNC is in the process of learning to play under a new style: a spread offense that emphasizes speed and aggressive play.

And Fedora said he expects his team to practice the way it plays.

“I think as the practice went on we got more comfortable as an offense,” said quarterback Bryn Renner, who is still recovering after offseason ankle surgery.

“It’s a long practice. I think everybody in there is a little tired after this one — just getting used to the tempo, used to the flow and everything coach Fedora wants out of us.”

The Tar Heels have gotten a head start on acclimating to the system by studying it ahead of time.

Fedora said it was obvious that his players had put in work in the video room as they practiced Wednesday, showing a level of commitment that bodes well for the Tar Heels this season — even though a bowl game is out of the picture.

UNC’s seniors have the option of transferring to other schools without penalty, but Fedora said he doesn’t expect that to happen.

And he certainly doesn’t have to worry about losing Reddick.

“No, I’m here,” Reddick said. “I’m here ‘til I die, man. Let’s do it.”

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@dailytarheel.com.