The Thomas International Center, whose mission is “cultural renewal in light of the Western and Christian intellectual traditions,” is bringing Christopher Wolfe to campus today to give a “detailed talk” about same-sex marriage in 307 Dey Hall at 7 p.m.

While the event description is seemingly neutral, his scholarship promotes “natural-law liberalism” and advocates homosexuality as, “a disorder to be sympathetically discouraged, controlled and even cured.”

Wolfe’s talk, in light of the approaching vote on Amendment One, does not serve as a discussion. It serves as a cynical ploy to rile up social conservatives with long-debunked lies while ignoring diverse thought in religious communities on the deeply personal issue of same-sex marriage.

Words have power, and ideas like his are not constructive dialogue. They are destructive — contributing to high rates of mental health problems and self-harm seen in the LGBTQ community.

Instead of attending this divisive talk, join us as we storm the campus dorms to raise awareness about early voting and the simple facts about Amendment One’s broad reach. Meet at 6:45 p.m. in Rams Head Plaza.

Let’s bring the debate out of the shadows so we can have a true community discussion about where we stand on this amendment.

Jeff DeLuca ’12
Political science
UNC Coalition Against Amendment One