On The Wire

Potential change in zodiac signs spurs strong reaction

It all started with an astronomy professor from Minneapolis Community and Technical College.
Parke Kunkle boldly stated the 2,000 year old zodiac created by the Babylonians is wrong.

According to Kunkle, a change in the position of the Earth’s axis now results in a new zodiac sign called Ophiuchus and new dates for the traditional zodiac signs.

Kunkle’s predication became an overnight Internet sensation. Facebook and Twitter newsfeeds filled up with concern and anger over the supposed changes in the zodiac signs.

According to Kunkle’s zodiac, sign dates are bumped forward several weeks.

But some say the signs aren’t changing at all, while others say the sign change only applies to those born in the recent years.

Students have varying opinions about the change.

“I’m really irked I changed from Virgo to Leo,” said UNC sophomore Julie Payment. “I like being a maiden better.”

Unlike Payment, sophomore Stephanie Haynes said she is not bothered by the new zodiac changes.

“I’m not all that concerned,” she said. “I used to be a Taurus so it might suit me better to not be one.”

According to the American Federation of Astrologers, although the Earth’s axis has indeed changed in the 2,000 years since the creation of the Babylonian zodiac, it does not result in any major changes like the ones claimed by Kunkle.

The federation, which is made up of more than 3,500 professional astrologers, still recognizes the traditional zodiac with 12 signs.

UNC sophomore Priya Balagopal thinks people have been overreacting to Kunkle’s version of the zodiac.

“Personally I think it’s over-hyped and people are making a big deal over it,” she said.
Haynes said she is not too concerned about Kunkle’s changes but she said it will change how she reads Cosmopolitan.

Check out your potential new zodiac sign: http://bit.ly/NTkk.