From the Press Box

Twitter announces Butch Davis will remain in '11

North Carolina football coach Butch Davis will remaining at the helm of the program for 2011, according to the team’s official Twitter on Sunday.

“Butch Davis will be UNC’s coach in 2011. Lots of false rumors circulating in wake of Carolina’s recruiting success,” the Twitter page @TarHeelFootball said on Sunday night.

Team spokesman Kevin Best said the revelation is nothing new and was confirmed on Nov. 18 at a UNC Board of Trustees meeting.

“Through all of that work over four months, we have found no information that Coach Davis was involved in any of the problems that have surfaced,” Chancellor Holden Thorp said at that meeting.

“So we’re very confident moving together – the three of us and the folks who are supporting us – to address the problems that we have.”

Athletic director Dick Baddour echoed the same sentiments and publicly backed Davis once again, just like he had since UNC football media day on Aug. 8.

As for the rumors circulating in recruiting circles, Best said many of the recruits have heard falsehoods regarding UNC from other schools.

“There’s a lot of negative recruiting out there in general,” Best said. “There are some quotes from commitments that have said some things about what other schools are saying to them. It seemed like a lot more had been going on.”

Other UNC football notes: UNC has not heard back from the NCAA regarding Michael McAdoo’s appeal. McAdoo was ruled permanently ineligible on Nov. 15 and UNC appealed that ruling on Dec. 14.

An appeal hearing for Devon Ramsay has yet to be set. Ramsay was also ruled permanently ineligible on the same day as McAdoo. His hearing was originally scheduled for Dec. 16, but UNC postponed the hearing midday the day before in order to “allow more time to develop the case in support of him,” according to Baddour.