From the Press Box

Tar Heels take on Major League Baseball

The Chicago White Sox's Juan Pierre, left, gets back to second base on a pickoff play to the Seattle Mariners' Dustin Ackley in the first inning at Safeco Field in Seattle, Washington, Friday, August 26, 2011. The White Sox defeated the Mariners, 4-2. (Jim Bates/Seattle Times/MCT)
Buy Photos The Chicago White Sox's Juan Pierre, left, gets back to second base on a pickoff play to the Seattle Mariners' Dustin Ackley in the first inning at Safeco Field in Seattle, Washington, Friday, August 26, 2011. The White Sox defeated the Mariners, 4-2. (Jim Bates/Seattle Times/MCT)

With the playoffs fast approaching, we look at how six former Tar Heels are handling playing time for three different teams.

Dustin Ackley became the everyday second baseman for the Seattle Mariners on June 17. He has a .277 batting average and an unexpected six home runs on the season. He began hitting third in the batting order less than a month after joining the team.

Kyle Seager joined his former UNC roommate Ackley in Seattle on July 7 and immediately became the everyday third baseman for the club. He had a .342 batting average in the month of August and is hitting .263 for the season.

Daniel Bard has established himself as a main set-up man for Boston Red Sox closer Jonathan Papelbon. This year, he had a career-best 26.1 consecutive scoreless innings streak. But Bard has struggled as the Red Sox struggle to make the playoffs. In the month of September, he has posted an 0-4 record with three blown saves and a 11.70 earned run average.

Andrew Miller posted a 6-1 record after being converted from a relief to a starting pitcher for the Boston Red Sox. Two straight poor outings in early September relegated him back to the bullpen.

Chris Iannetta is the starting catcher for the Colorado Rockies. Iannetta has taken advantage of playing in Coors Field this season with a .301 batting average and 10 home runs at home. On the road, he has a .173 batting average with four homers.

Alex White is now a starting pitcher for the Colorado Rockies after he was traded by the Cleveland Indians in a blockbuster deal involving ace Ubaldo Jimenez. White has struggled with the Rockies in his seven starts, posting a 2-4 record and a 8.42 ERA.

If the Red Sox fail to make the playoffs this year, it will mark the second consecutive year that a Tar Heel has not played in the postseason.