From the Press Box

Virginia Tech series Quick Hits

The No. 7 Tar Heels swept the series against Virginia Tech this weekend to improve to 42-13, 22-8 ACC.

Finals: UNC 13, VT 2. UNC 2, VT 1. UNC 6, VT 2.

Winners: Thursday Kent Emanuel (8-3) on 7.0 IP, 5 hits, 2 runs, 2 walks and 7 strikeouts.

Friday Benton Moss (6-2) on 7.2 IP, 4 hits, 1 run (unearned), 0 walks and 8 strikeouts.

Saturday Hobbs Johnson (6-1) on 8.0 IP, 3 hits, 2 runs, 0 walks and 10 strikeouts.

Losers: Thursday Andrew Aizenstadt (2-3) on 3.0 IP, 7 hits, 7 runs, 1 walk and 0 strikeouts.

Friday Joe Mantiply (5-6) on 8.0 IP, 4 hits, 2 runs, 1 walk and 7 strikeouts.

Saturday Marc Zecchino (2-5) on 3.1 IP, 4 hits, 2 runs, 2 walks and 0 strikeouts.

Homeruns: Virginia Tech – Tyler Horan Thursday
North Carolina Shell McCain Friday Tommy Coyle Saturday

Triples: North Carolina – Chaz Frank Thursday

Doubles: North Carolina – Colin Moran, Jacob Stallings, Michael Russell, Cody Stubbs. Virginia Tech – Jake Atwell Thursday
North Carolina – Shell McCain Friday
North Carolina – Chaz Frank, Jacob Stallings Saturday

Top Hitters: Colin Moran was 5-for-13 in the series while registering two RBI and scoring three runs. Jacob Stallings went 4-for-11 on the weekend also scoring three runs and knocking in two. Cody Stubbs was 5-for-10 against VT and had four RBI and three runs.

Notes: Hobbs Johnson was five outs away from pitching a perfect game in Saturday’s season finale. No Tar Heel has thrown a no-hitter since Greg Norris in 1978. Last weekend at Duke, Shane Taylor started for Johnson who was ill and gave up just one hit earning ACC honors, so Johnson started Tuesday night at Asheville.

Up Next: The regular season has now concluded and the Tar Heels will be the No. 2 seed in next week’s ACC Tournament in Greensboro. They will practice Tuesday May 22 and competition begins Wednesday. The format gives each team at least three games in the round-robin opening round. The top team in each of the two pools will play in the championship game Sunday May 27.